Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Fall Square I

This is the first of a series I am doing of small (5"x5") square paintings for a series. These are on deep canvas panels that can sit on a mantel or counter. They will be painted in oil on black gesso for more punch. They really lend themselves to the daily painting theme since they are quick sketches. I really like to have paintings sitting on my kitchen counter.

I went to a demo with Dennis Johnson, a very dynamic Oklahoma City artist, last night. He does wonderful abstractions, but I loved most what he said about painting in general; basically, paint profusely and edit deeply. I am a firm believer that in order to improve, you have to paint a lot. Some are keepers, some are not. Hopefully the more you paint, the more you keep!

No comments: